This warming all in one stew brings together the smoky flavours of paprika and chorizo with eight different Mediterranean vegetables and butterbeans to make a comforting family meal. An easy way to add more veg and fibre into your family food – just cut up the veggies super fine for little ones who are not used to eating lots of different veg.
Get our lovely Healthy Bites newsletter each week!
Each week, you’ll get an amazing recipe, a useful health tip, and an ingredient to jazz up your shopping basket! We don’t share your details with anyone else.
Smokey Chicken & Butterbean Mediterranean Stew
- 4 Chicken thighs (boneless, cut into chunks)
- 110 g Chorizo (mild or spicy, according to your choice)
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Red onion (small, and finely chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 1 stick Celery (finely diced)
- 1 Carrot (peeled and finely diced)
- 1 Courgette (small, and finely diced)
- 1 Red Pepper (finely diced)
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp Herbes de Provence (or mixed herbs)
- 800 g Tinned Cherry Tomatoes (that’s 2 tins. You can use ordinary chopped tomatoes)
- 400 g Tinned Butterbeans (1 tin, drained)
- 250 ml Chicken Stock
- 4 stalks Cavolo Nero (finely sliced. You can use kale)
- 1 Chilli (use less or none if you don’t like it too spicy)
- 2 tbsp Parsley (fresh & chopped)
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan and brown the chicken and chorizo. Set aside. This should take 5-7 minutes.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the onions. Cook on a medium heat until soft (3-5 minutes) and then add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add the chopped vegetables, tinned cherry tomatoes, butter beans, chicken stock, paprika and herbs and cook on a medium heat for 35 minutes. Stir from time to time.
- Add in the chicken and chorizo and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the cavolo nero and cook for 5 more minutes. Add fresh chilli at this point if your family likes a bit of spice.
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley on immediately before serving.
- Serve with brown rice, quinoa, mashed potato or baked sweet potato
- Turn this into a plant-based meal by replacing the chorizo, chicken and chicken stock with 1 tin of kidney beans and one tin of borlotti beans with vegetable stock. You may want to add an extra tablespoon of paprika to give it a smokier taste.
- Store in the fridge for 3 days or suitable for freezing for up to 3 months.