To me the epitome of summer is picking elderflowers from the hedgerows and having picnics with family and friends. So, I have created a delicious summery sweet loaf that uses fresh elderflowers infused with lemon. Think of these soft and squidgy mini loaves as individual little portable puddings that you can take with you on your adventures this summer. Or equally eat at home at Sunday lunch with lashings of homemade creamy custard.
High in calcium and protein, and easy to adapt to making allergen free or vegan. Switch the spelt to sorghum flour or a gluten-free flour blend if you follow a wheat-free or gluten-free diet. Suitable for the whole family including babies as the texture is so light and soft.
Get our lovely Healthy Bites newsletter each week!
Each week, you’ll get an amazing recipe, a useful health tip, and an ingredient to jazz up your shopping basket! We don’t share your details with anyone else.
Mini Elderflower & Blueberry Loaves
- Pop the elderflowers, coconut sugar and lemon in a covered bowl in the fridge for at least two hours. This can be overnight.
- Before using, squeeze out the elderflowers well and discard.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Whisk the egg whites and elderflower infusion in a large bowl for two minutes until frothy and foamy.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and the fold in the fluffy egg white mixture.
- Then fold in the melted butter and most of the chopped blueberries. The batter will be quite wet and runny.
- Evenly pour or spoon the batter into the mini loaf cases until three quarters full.
- Gently scatter the rest of the chopped blueberries on top.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20-22 minutes until risen and golden brown at the edges.
- Cool on a wire rack or half an hour (or as long as you can wait!) and eat on their own or remove from the loaf case pour homemade custard over.
- You will need 7 mini bake-in loaf moulds/cases. Use paper muffin cases if you don’t have loaf cases and these make approx. 12 muffins.
- Use 2 tablespoons elderflower syrup/cordial in place of the infusion if you can’t find fresh elderflowers.
- Egg-free: Swap the 6 egg whites for 12 tablespoons of aquafaba (chickpea water).
- Gluten-free: Swap spelt flour for gluten-free flour.
- Nut-free: Swap ground almonds for chickpea flour or more spelt flour.
- Dairy-free: Swap butter for dairy-free vegan spread or odourless coconut oil or light olive oil.
- Storage: Four days in a cake tin or three months bagged in a freezer.
- Use the egg yolks to make homemade mayonnaise, fresh custard or a lovely eggy carbonara sauce for pasta.