These are scrumptious crunchy Christmas cookies with a soft squidgy orangey spice sensation inside. Oranges, allspice, and almonds will fill your kitchen with all the wonderful smells of Christmas!
Full of Magnesium, Vitamin C and tummy soothing spices, these cookies bring all the joy and taste of a delicious treat without the hit of refined sugar and white flour.
Naturally egg-free, soya-free and dairy-free, easy to make gluten-free by switching the spelt to a gluten-free flour blend or sorghum flour or gluten-free oat flour. Suitable for all ages, even weaning babies from 6 months.
Get our lovely Healthy Bites newsletter each week!
Each week, you’ll get an amazing recipe, a useful health tip, and an ingredient to jazz up your shopping basket! We don’t share your details with anyone else.
Christmas In A Cookie
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C fan or gas mark 4, and line a baking tray.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients and the orange zest.
- Add maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract and orange blossom water and stir.
- Using clean hands create a big compact dough ball.
- Flour the work surface and roll out the dough to roughly 3mm thick. If the dough is too sticky, sprinkle more spelt flour over before rolling.
- Cut out the cookies, using Christmas cookie cutters and place on the lined baking tray.
- Pop in the oven for 10 minutes until they are lightly golden. 12 minutes to make them crunchier.
- Cool before eating or decorating. If you can wait 😉
- Gluten-free: substitute the spelt flour for sorghum or ground-up gluten-free oats (oat flour).
- Nut-free: swap ground almonds for ground sunflower seeds.
- Store in a cookie tin for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.