These little beauties are gluten free, dairy free with no cane sugar. They are full of brain food goodies such as blueberries, ground almonds and sunflower seeds. The lemon zest gives them a gorgeous bright zingy taste. Lovely and nutrient-dense, these muffins are a fabulous breakfast option. We simply adore these blueberry lemon breakfast muffins.
There is a sneaky added ingredient as the mixture contains a whole medium sized courgette! This hides beautifully amongst the other ingredients, so a perfect option for the anti-veg brigade.
Also great as an after school snack or in a lunch box (if nuts are allowed). Light and fluffy with just enough sweet, so they do not cause a big sugar spike.
Get our lovely Healthy Bites newsletter each week!
Each week, you’ll get an amazing recipe, a useful health tip, and an ingredient to jazz up your shopping basket! We don’t share your details with anyone else.
Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Muffins
- 2 Lemons unwaxed
- 3 Eggs organic
- 150 grams Coconut palm sugar
- 250 grams Courgette approx 1 medium
- 175 grams Rice flour Bob’s Red Mill Sweet Rice Flour makes the lightest muffins
- 160 grams Ground almonds
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder Dove’s Farm gluten free
- 1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 150 grams Blueberries fresh or frozen
- 50 grams Sunflower seeds grind in a pestle & mortar/Nutribullet if you have a fussy eater!
- Grate the lemons with a nutmeg grater or lemon zester and the courgette with a larger cheese grater.
- Whisk the eggs and the coconut sugar together for three minutes with an electric whisk until creamy.
- Add in the grated courgette and lemon zest and whisk again briefly.
- Then add the rice flour, ground almonds, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt and blend in with a spatula to keep nice and fluffy.
- Finally fold in the blueberries and sunflower seeds
- Place paper muffin cases into 2 x 12 muffin tins and add a small ice-cream scoop of the muffin mixture to each paper case.
- Place in a 180C degree (350F) oven for 25 minutes until risen and golden brown on top.
- To lower histamine swap lemon zest for one chopped fresh apple or pear