This beany chicken sausage casserole is an irresistible one-pot recipe packed with vegetables and hearty haricot beans (the white beans used in baked beans!), as well as immune supporting herbs such as thyme and garlic. The chicken stock is nice and gut-friendly and also good for immunity.
It’s a sausage casserole sweetened with apple and packed with five vegetables which is perfect for veg-dodgers. Blitz up the sauce for the very fussy ones. This recipe is sure to become a firm family favourite!
Get our lovely Healthy Bites newsletter each week!
Each week, you’ll get an amazing recipe, a useful health tip, and an ingredient to jazz up your shopping basket! We don’t share your details with anyone else.
Cosy Sausage Casserole
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 10 Sausages (Chicken chipolata)
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 1 Carrot (diced)
- 1 Celery Stick (diced)
- 1 Red Pepper (diced)
- 2 Garlic Clove (crushed)
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 150 ml Chicken Stock
- 400 g Cherry Tomatoes (tinned)
- 400 g Haricot Beans (tinned; drained and rinsed)
- 1 Apple (peeled and chopped)
- 1 tbsp Parsley (chopped, optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish over a medium heat. Brown the sausages, remove from the casserole and set aside.
- Turn down the heat and gently sauté the onion, carrot, celery and red pepper for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Add the crushed garlic, smoked paprika and thyme. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock to deglaze the casserole dish, then add the browned sausages, tinned tomatoes, drained haricot beans, chopped apples, salt and pepper. Simmer for 25-30 minutes, until thickened. Serve garnished with chopped parsley, if you like.
- For very young children or fussy eaters, remove the sausages at the end and chop them into bite sized pieces and pop to the side. Then blitz up the sauce with a stick blender so it becomes nice and smooth and then finally stir back in the sausages and serve.
- This is a lovely complete meal, but you could serve with mashed potatoes, rice, quinoa or crusty bread for an extra hearty meal.
- Chicken Chipolatas are delicious, but you can use your favourite pork, beef, lamb or venison sausages. And if you are plant-based use vegetarian sausages. Allow extra cooking time if you are using thicker sausages.
- Gluten-free – most supermarket sausages are now gluten-free but always check the label.