This noodle salad packs a perfectly balanced punch of flavour – from the richness of the smoked mackerel to the zing of the fish sauce, lime and chilli. It is a great salad for days when it’s too hot for heavy food, but you need something substantial to eat!
Smoked mackerel is a delicious way to eat oily fish, rich in healthy omega-3 fat. Along with five portions of plant-based foods, this recipe really ticks all the nutrition boxes!
Requiring minimal preparation, you can have this dish on your table in about 10 minutes.
Get our lovely Healthy Bites newsletter each week!
Each week, you’ll get an amazing recipe, a useful health tip, and an ingredient to jazz up your shopping basket! We don’t share your details with anyone else.
Vietnamese Style Noodle Salad
Vietnamese Style Dressing
- Begin by making the dressing. Finely chop the red chilli and crush the garlic. Place into a small bowl and add the fish sauce, rice vinegar, honey, lime juice and water. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Cook the rice noodles according to the packet instructions, and rinse with lots of cold water.
- Grate the carrots and cucumber. Flake the mackerel into pieces.
- Assemble all the salad ingredients into a bowl, drizzle with the dressing and garnish with chopped fresh coriander and roasted peanuts.
- Nut-free use toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- You could replace the smoked mackerel with left-over roast chicken or tofu.
- The dressing would be delicious on any salad, so if you have any spare, experiment with pouring it over other things. I love it on roasted veg.
- The salad is best freshly prepared, so bring it together just before you want to eat it.