This is a crowd-pleasing celebration cake which is perfect for summer parties, and especially Platinum Jubilee tea parties! The traditional combination of fresh lemon and mildly nutty poppy seeds are given a twist with delicious honey and olive oil, which come together to make a light and fluffy sponge.
This spelt cake is naturally dairy and nut-free. You can easily switch the spelt to a gluten-free flour blend if you need it to be wheat-free or gluten-free.
It is a fuss-free one-bowl recipe that does not require sieving or whisking and bakes faster than traditional cakes. Suitable from 12 months plus.
Get our lovely Healthy Bites newsletter each week!
Each week, you’ll get an amazing recipe, a useful health tip, and an ingredient to jazz up your shopping basket! We don’t share your details with anyone else.
Lemon, Honey and Poppyseed Bundt Cake
- Preheat your oven to 160C (fan).
- Begin by preparing a decorative cake pan / bundt tin (ours is 23.5cm). Lightly but thoroughly brush the inside of the tin with light olive oil, and dust with spelt flour, tipping away any excess. This will help release the cake!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the spelt flour, baking powder and poppy seeds. Add the lemon zest, eggs, honey and olive oil, and stir thoroughly until combined into a smooth batter. Use a spatula to scrape all the mixture into the prepared tin. Put into the pre-heated oven and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes, until golden and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for ten minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack. Leave to cool completely before decorating.
- In a small bowl, combine the unrefined icing sugar, honey and lemon juice and stir until smooth. Carefully pour onto the cooled cake, and decorate with your choice of edible decoration! I like to use pansies!
- The style of a bundt pan, with the hole in middle, means that these cakes cook more quickly than regular cakes. Be aware that every oven runs slightly differently heat-wise, so keep an eye on your cake. I used this Tala Bundt cake tin.
- Gluten-free: switch spelt flour for Doves Farm Plain Gluten-Free Flour.
- Egg-free: sorry we are still working on this and will find a solution one day!
- Stores in a cake tin for up to a week. Freeze before icing/decorating for up to 3 months.