This wonderful Rocky Road recipe brings together soft, chewy, crunchy and crispy textures wrapped in delicious chocolate – with a very special NatureDoc twist. This recipe was a total winner with our mini taste-testing team!
You would not believe how yummy, filling and healthy this rocky road snack is! It is packed with mineral-dense dark chocolate, chickpeas, pumpkin seeds and quinoa and should not upset your blood sugar balance. It’s a perfect recipe for both lunch boxes and after-school snacks.
The whole chickpeas used in this version of rocky road might sound surprising, but they work brilliantly well. Naturally nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, refined-sugar free and plant-based.
Get our lovely Healthy Bites newsletter each week!
Each week, you’ll get an amazing recipe, a useful health tip, and an ingredient to jazz up your shopping basket! We don’t share your details with anyone else.
Ultimate Rocky Road
- Line a small loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Measure the dark chocolate, coconut oil and maple syrup into a mixing bowl, and set over pan of simmering water to melt (ensure the bowl doesn’t touch the water).
- Meanwhile, drain, wash and dry the chickpeas, and weigh out the dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and popped quinoa.
- Once the chocolate mixture is melted, stir in the whole chickpeas, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and popped quinoa. If using tinned chickpeas rather than jarred, also add a pinch of salt.
- Press the mixture into the prepped tin, and pop into the fridge to set for around 1 hour.
- To serve, slice into 10 pieces.
- Chickpeas from a glass jar work better for this recipe as they have a slightly softer texture and a touch of salt. However tinned chickpeas will also be absolutely fine, just add a little pinch of salt as per the recipe to balance the sweetness.
- Popped quinoa can be bought in health food shops as well as online. It is very light in weight so if your weighing scales struggle, 10g popped quinoa is equivalent to 50ml in a measuring jug. If you don’t have popped quinoa to hand then switch to wholegrain rice crispies, popcorn or popped/puffed wheat/spelt/amaranth or millet.
- You can switch the chocolate to milk chocolate or vegan chocolate, depending on your preference.
- Store in the fridge for up to four days or freeze for up to 3 months.