Everyone loves chocolate crispies. They are an all time, good time treat that both big kids and little kids love to munch on. The chocolate crispies you buy in the shops are laced with white sugar, white rice and margarine, which are not good for anyone. These gorgeous popped quinoa crispies are packed with goodness and taste absolutely delicious. Full of healthy fats and proteins, no sugar rush here! Naturally gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free.
My popped quinoa crispies contain raw cacao which is full of wonderful nutritious goodies including magnesium and vitamin C. You can also choose cocoa powder if this is easier. The quinoa is a great source of protein and has the perfect balance of all the nine amino acids essential for kids well being. Perfect for those who are not keen on their meat. It is also a good source of fibre and iron.You can buy popped quinoa from health foods shops and online.
The chia seeds are bursting with calcium, omega 3 and fibre and therefore these little seeds of goodness are an essential ingredient for those needing to lead a dairy-free life.They hide so well in these chocolate crispies, that your fussy eater won’t even notice.
Simply melt all the ingredients gently in a pan and add the popped quinoa. Pack it down into a baking tray and pop into the fridge for an hour. Stress-free healthy snacks for kids!
Get our lovely Healthy Bites newsletter each week!
Each week, you’ll get an amazing recipe, a useful health tip, and an ingredient to jazz up your shopping basket! We don’t share your details with anyone else.
Popped Quinoa Chocolate Crispies
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil See cooks tips below
- 20 grams Raw cacao powder Or cocoa powder
- 20 grams Cocoa butter Buy online or from your health food shop or add one extra tablespoon of cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons Honey Ideally use set honey – vegans swap to rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon Cashew nut butter Nut free swap to tahini or sunflower seed butter
- 1 tablespoon Chia seeds
- 60 grams Popped Quinoa Such as Biofair Quinoa Pops. Buy online or from your health food shop
- Melt all the ingredients (except the popped quinoa and chia seeds) gently in a saucepan until melted and combined.
- Add the popped quinoa and chia seeds and stir well so they are well covered with the chocolate sauce.
- Line a small rectangular baking tray (approx 10 inches by 6 inches) with parchment paper.
- Pack in the popped quinoa mixture into the lined baking tray.
- Pop into the fridge for about an hour to set.
- Slice into a minimum of eight squares with a sharp knife and and munch away!
- You can easily swap the popped quinoa for puffed buckwheat, brown rice crispies or even Oatibix flakes. You make a choice depending on what grains and seeds your child can tolerate and what you have in your store cupboard.They all taste amazing!
- Add extra seeds and nuts for more even more crunch and brain food goodness.
- Use Biona Cuisine Coconut Oil for those who don’t like a strong coconut flavour. This does not smell or taste of coconut.