This is a creamy and slightly sweet home-made oat milk – a doddle to make so you never run out! Some people don’t tolerate cow’s milk and there has been a massive upsurge of interest in plant-based milks over the past few years.
However, commercial oat milks are usually very low in calcium or fortified with types of calcium that are hard to absorb easily. Many oat milks also have emulsifiers and acidity regulators added to them which are often not tolerated by sensitive tummies. Some people also need gluten-free oat milk or prefer organic which can get expensive.
I have therefore created a super easy oat milk you can make at home that contains a very special type of calcium made from marine algae, which is vegan and also packed with minerals that help to build healthy bones. This makes 1 litre of oat milk with 1,200mg calcium. 100ml of cow’s milk normally provides 120ml calcium.
This milk is suitable from 12 months old and should never be used as a replacement for infant milk formula.
Get our lovely Healthy Bites newsletter each week!
Each week, you’ll get an amazing recipe, a useful health tip, and an ingredient to jazz up your shopping basket! We don’t share your details with anyone else.
Calcium Rich Oat Milk
- Blend all the ingredients in a high-speed blender for 30 seconds. Be careful not to over blend.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a jug or glass bowl – let this drip through slowly and discard any oats of thick liquid remaining in the sieve after a couple of minutes. Do not be tempted to push these through as this can make the milk quite slimy.
- Wash the sieve and strain the oat milk once again so it becomes extra smooth and creamy. Again, discard any oats or thick liquid remaining, if you want to keep it as palatable as possible.
- Store in a covered jug or sealed glass jar for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- The liquid and oats will naturally separate, so do give it a good stir each time you pour it.
- Add 3 teaspoons of hulled hemp seeds to add some omega 3 and calcium
- Use Gluten-free oats if necessary
- Get Lifestream Calcium at naturedoc.shop.