This is one of my kids’ favourite salads. Zesty carrot apple salad is clean, fresh and crunchy with a lovely lemon tang. It is very easy to make, and because it does not wilt like green salads, you can dress the salad in the morning (or even the night before) and it is still lovely and crunchy for their lunch boxes.
The sliced almonds give some protein and healthy fats to make this quite a substantial salad. Swap to sunflower seeds if allergic to nuts.
- 4 Carrots (large, peeled & grated)
- 1 Apple (crunchy sweet apple such as Gala or Pink Lady)
- 1 tablespoon Parsley (chopped)
- 2 tablespoon Almonds (sliced, swap to sunflower seeds if needed)
- 1.5 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoon Honey
- Peppercorns (black, ground)
- Salt (Himalayan pink or Celtic grey)
- Combine all the dry ingredients together in one large salad bowl.
- Blend up the dressing ingredients separately in a glass jar and shake vigorously.
- Pour the dressing onto the salad and combine well.
- Try to use organic ingredients wherever you can.
- I grate carrots in our Magimix, which just takes seconds.
- To lower histamine swap lemon juice for one-two teaspoons of sumac powder.
Are the apples grated ?
You can grate the apples if you like. A micro-plane is good for very fussy eaters.