A deliciously sticky Asian-inspired colourful chicken dish that everyone will love. The addition of Jerusalem artichokes gives this a delicious nutty flavour that balances brilliantly with the sweet and sour tastes. Plus, the turmeric gives the chicken a lovely golden glow, perfect for a cosy family night meal.
The marinade works brilliantly on other meat, fish and veggies too! You can use any veggies you like in with the rice so it’s a really versatile recipe to have ‘in the bag’.
For the chicken:
- 500 g Mini Chicken Fillets (Sliced in half lengthways or use chicken thighs)
- 2 Lemons (Juiced and the zest of one)
- 1 tbsp Honey (Clear, runny)
- 2 cloves Garlic (Peeled and very finely chopped)
- 1 thumbnail size Ginger (Fresh, grated or 1/2 tsp of ground)
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 0.5 tsp Ground Turmeric
- Olive Oil
For the rice:
- 250 g Rice (A mix of wholemeal and wild rice works well)
- 2 Jerusalem Artichokes (Peeled and finely sliced)
- 4 florets Broccoli (Chopped, or 4 stems of tender stem broccoli)
- 1 Carrot (Peeled and sliced)
- 30 g Frozen Petit Pois (Defrosted in water)
- 20 g Frozen Sweet Corn (Defrosted in water)
- 20 g Kale (De-stemmed and chopped)
- 1 Leek (Small, washed and finely sliced)
- 1 Courgette (Small, chopped into batons)
- 2 Cavolo Nero (Destalked and chopped up)
- 1 tbsp Tamari Soy Sauce (Or standard soy sauce)
- 0.5 tsp Sesame Oil
- Heat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Place all the ingredients for the chicken, apart from the sesame seeds, into a bowl and mix up well. Then cover and pop the bowl into the fridge to marinate for 20 minutes or so whilst you prepare the rice and vegetables.
- Rinse the rice in cold water before placing into a salted pan of boiling water. Cook for 25 minutes or according to the pack instructions.
- Whilst the rice is cooking drizzle a little olive oil and a sprinkling of salt onto the Jerusalem artichokes. Place them onto a lined baking tray and pop into the oven for 8-10 minutes, until they start to colour. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- In a frying pan, heat up some olive oil and cook the leeks until lightly browned. Remove the leeks from the pan and set aside. Keep your pan on the heat.
- Remove your marinating chicken from the fridge and cook the chicken and marinade in the frying pan until the chicken is cooked through, this should take about 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, take the chicken out of the frying pan and set aside. Continue cooking the marinade until it starts to thicken and get sticky. Then add the chicken and leeks back to the pan, stir to coat and remove from the heat.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, steam the carrots, broccoli, courgette, kale and cavolo nero. The carrots and broccoli will take longer, keep adding the other ingredients to the steamer, until they are cooked. Pop your defrosted peas and sweetcorn in for a few minutes at the end to warm through.
- Drain the rice and add all the steamed vegetables, sesame oil and Tamari sauce. Then stir through the Jerusalem artichokes.
- Serve the rice with the sticky lemony chicken on the top and add a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- There are quite a few vegetables listed to include with the wild rice, but you don’t need to use them all! Just choose a few or use what you’ve got in the fridge/freezer. Obviously, the more variety the better though.
- The marinade works brilliantly on other meat, fish and veggies too!
- For a vegetarian option use Tempeh. Treat the same way as the chicken apart from cook it for a bit longer. Tempeh needs flavour and cooking through fully, then it is delicious.
- For a vegan option replace the honey with maple syrup.