Here is a healthy halloweeny twist on the traditional carrot cake. I have added butternut squash and mixed spice to make it more seasonal and totally grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free as well as low-sugar. Your kids will gobble this down, and won’t even know it’s healthy!
Finding cakes that are healthy and delicious can be quite a challenge. Many children with gut problems do not tolerate grains well and many of the kids I look after in my clinic need to be on a low carbohydrate diet such as the Specific Carbohydrate or Paleo diet. Many more need to be gluten and dairy-free.
I love this recipe because it is so easy to make as you can mix all the ingredients together in one bowl, no need for a whisk or worrying about getting enough air in the mixture. You do need to bake it in a fairly cool oven to prevent the nuts from burning.
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil Tiana or Biona cooking oil with little to no coconut flavour
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 100 grams Carrots Peeled
- 100 grams Butternut Squash Peeled and deseeded. You can also use pumpkin if you have some handy.
- 150 grams Ground Almonds
- 2 Eggs
- 50 grams Pecans Chopped plus a few extra whole ones for decoration
- 25 grams Raisins
- 1 teaspoon Mixed Spice
- 0.5 teaspoon Salt Pink Himalayan or Celtic
- 0.5 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- Cake Tin 7 inches/18cm in diameter.
- Parchment Paper Cut into a 7 inch diameter circle to line cake tin.
- Coconut Oil A little to grease the bottom and sides of the cake tin.
- Set the oven to 160 degrees.
- Melt the honey and coconut oil in a saucepan on a medium heat.
- Grate the carrot and butternut squash. I like to do this with the grater function of my Magimix but you can do it with a hand grater.
- Mix all the ingredients well in a bowl using a fork.
- Lightly grease a cake tin with some coconut oil and line the bottom of the tin with parchment paper.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin.
- Place a few pecan nuts on the top of the cake for decoration.
- Bake for 50 minutes in a 160 degree oven
- Cool on a rack and lightly dust with unrefined icing sugar if you want.