It is rhubarb season! Rhubarb and strawberries are simply the best fruits to pair up together at this time of year. Children adore the combination of these vibrant pinky-red summer fruits. The strawberry takes away the sharpness of the rhubarb, making this Rhubarb & Strawberry Compote one of the most delicious summer combinations for children.
This Rhubarb & Strawberry Compote has been sweetened slightly with honey and vanilla pod, which makes this compote tastes divine. I added in some chia seeds to boost up the protein, fibre and calcium, as well as the make the compote a litte thicker. The fibre and protein can help your little ones stay fuller for longer, and may stop them from raiding the biscuit jar mid-morning.
This yummy rhubarb and strawberry compote can be served on its own or with some home-made granola and thick Greek yoghurt. We serve it with my salted caramel cashew sauce to keep it dairy free. We have it for breakfast, puddings and snacks and you can keep a pot of compote in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- 400 grams Rhubarb approx 3 sticks rhubarb
- 300 grams Strawberries 1 punnet
- 1 Vanilla Pod or 1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 8 tablespoons Honey This can easily be reduced
- 4 tablespoons Chia Seeds
- Slice the rhubarb into one inch pieces.
- Hull the strawberries and slice in half.
- Wash the fruit well in a colander.
- Place in a stainless steel saucepan with the honey, vanilla and chia seeds and cook on medium for 10 minutes until the rhubarb is soft and the compote is thick. Stir from time to time, so that the rhubarb pieces break down into a sauce.
- Leave to cool and serve.