This mellow tasting beetroot celeriac soup is gorgeously bright and vibrant. It is silky smooth like red velvet, a perfect autumn and winter soup to warm little tummies. This soup tastes creamy despite the recipe being dairy free.
Soup is an easy stand by for a light lunch or simple supper. I even know one child who has a cup of beetroot soup for breakfast every day to help keep his brain on full charge!
This beetroot celeriac soup is full of gut-healing goodies including chicken bone broth and fennel. It may help to soothe sore tummies and calm down gut inflammation. This soup is suitable for the early stages of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, the GAPS diet and for other grain free diets such as the Paleo Diet.
Beetroot is well known for its brain boosting properties. Scientists at Wake Forest University found that the natural nitrates in beetroot can increase blood flow to the brain,which in turn may improve mental performance. It is also rich in iron and natural folate.
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil or ghee or butter
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 4 Beetroot
- 1 Celeriac
- 1 Carrot
- 500 millilitres Chicken
- Peppercorns (black, ground)
- Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan and add the fennel seeds and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Peel and chop up the beetroot, celeriac and carrot and add to the coconut oil.
- Add the chicken bone broth, salt and pepper. Cook on a medium heat until the beetroot is soft(about 20 -25 minutes).
- Blend the soup until it is lovely and smooth and serve.