Packed with tropical rainforest ingredients like pineapple and cashews, and with lots of vibrant veg, this quick and yummy rice-based bowl of nourishment has a fresh jungle vibe.
If prawns are not a hit with your family, you can substitute with chicken or tofu. Yummy hot or cold, and if you want to cook in advance, the prawns can be added separately later. Any bright veggies work here, so it’s a great opportunity to sneak in a few new ones and clear out the veggie drawer!
- 200 g Brown Rice
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil (neutral/odourless)
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 Spring Onions (chopped)
- 1 Carrot (large, diced)
- 1 Red Pepper (diced)
- 1 Chilli (optional, chopped)
- 150 g Mange Tout (halved diagonally)
- 360 g Prawns (cooked)
- 1 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- 180 g Pineapple (diced)
- 100 g Cashew Nuts
- Rinse the rice thoroughly and then cook according to the packet instructions. Once cooked, set aside for later.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large wok and sauté the onion until it is translucent.
- Add the minced garlic, spring onion, carrot, pepper, chilli if using and mange tout. Stir-fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the prawns followed by the rice and heat for a minute or two. If you are using raw prawns, make sure they are already cooked by this stage, as you don't want to overcook the stir-fry veg.
- Add the soy sauce and curry powder. Stir well until the everything is nicely coated.
- Fold in the pineapple.
- Finally season with salt and pepper and stir in the cashew nuts before serving.
- For Vegan/vegetarian, use tofu instead of prawns.
- For gluten-free, use Tamari Soya sauce.
- For nut-free, sprinkle pumpkin seeds instead.
This looks delicious ! Any recommendations on good quality prawns?
Hi Tara, Thank you. 🙂 Lucinda is quite keen on organic prawns if they are farmed as it’s hard to know much about them otherwise. Duchy Organic Prawns at Waitrose are lovely. The recipe calls for cooked prawns for simplicity but you have to be careful not to make them shrink by overheating them. I highly recommend these frozen wild raw prawns. They are really delicious, healthy and incredible value. Some of Bradleys products are a bit hit and miss but we keep going back for more! https://bradleysfish.com/product/peeled-wild-red-shrimp/
How much coconut oil?
Just 1 tablespoon. That’s added to the ingredients list. Thanks for spotting it!