Delicious mango lollies with the added benefit of nettle, which can be lovely and calming during hay fever season. Nettle is a traditional herbal remedy known for helping support kidney and liver health, as well as its natural antihistamine qualities. Nettle has a very mellow taste, so it does not stand out in this recipe, which is perfect for kids who are cautious of trying new foods.
Apple, mango and blueberries are also the three key low-histamine fruits, so perfect for those on a low histamine diet. These lollies are brilliant to have in your freezer to bring nettle’s soothing touch to summer irritations, such as stings and sneezes. Suitable from 6 months.
You can use fresh nettles instead of the nettle tea bag but be sure to find nettle leaves growing well away from a busy road, sprayed crops or a dog walking path.
- Bring the cloudy apple juice to a gentle boil and add the nettle teabag. Remove from heat, and let it infuse for at least 20 minutes. You could leave it for a couple of hours or even overnight, which will make the taste a little stronger and also increase the potency of the nettle. When removing the tea bag, give it a squeeze to release all the nettle goodness into the juice.
- Meanwhile, set out your lolly moulds on a freezer-proof tray and prepare the mango, by cutting the flesh away from the stone and removing the skin. Whizz the mango with the infused apple and nettle juice in a blender for 10-20 seconds to create a smooth mixture.
- Chop the blueberries into quarters.
- Carefully pour the mango, apple and nettle mixture into the lolly moulds and gently pop four pieces of blueberry into each one.
- Place the tray of lollies into a flat surface of your freezer and freeze for at least 3 hours, until fully frozen.
- I used Clipper organic nettle infusion in this recipe, which can be bought in most large supermarkets.
- Choose a beautifully ripe mango to make preparation easier and ensure the soft flesh blends up well. If you can’t find a large mango, substitute two small mangoes or the equivalent quantity of ready-prepared frozen mango.
- These ice-lollies can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.