Chocolate and orange pair so beautifully together and this is a very moreish granola recipe that is suitable for the whole family from 12 months upwards. It makes the milk go chocolatey too which kids love and encourages them to slurp up every little bit. Top with blueberries, banana or pomegranate seeds for a really special breakfast.
If you and your family are hooked on crunchy chocolate cereal, then this is a positive step to a healthier breakfast. The oats and chia seeds are packed with calcium and it is an iron-rich breakfast too. The sunflower seeds are full of choline to help boost up memory and focus and the flax seeds and chia seeds are full of essential fatty acids that are also brilliant brain-foods.
- 300 g Porridge Oats
- 4 tbsp Honey (or maple syrup)
- 8 tbsp Coconut Oil (I use Biona Cuisine which does not smell/taste of coconut)
- 3 tbsp Cocoa Powder (or raw cacao powder)
- 30 g Sunflower Seeds
- 2 Oranges (zest only)
- 1 tbsp Coconut Sugar (or light muscovado)
- 15 g Chia Seeds
- 15 g Flax Seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan /gas mark 5.
- Melt the honey, coconut oil and cocoa powder together in a small saucepan over a gentle heat.
- Meanwhile grate the orange zest into the coconut sugar and rub then together between your fingers so the flavours infuse. This mixture will be added at the end.
- Then scatter the rolled oats, and sunflower seeds into your biggest baking tray and pour over the chocolate honey mixture and coat the oats well.
- Bake for 20 minutes, shaking the pan every 5 minutes, so that the oats have an even crunch.
- Remove the tray and scatter over the orange zest mixture. Cool the oats and sprinkle over the chia seeds and flax seeds. Transfer into a large glass jar. Serve with your milk of choice.
- Gluten-free: Swap oats for gluten-free oats.
- Store in a sealed container for up to a month.
- Squeeze the oranges to make two lovely glasses of fresh orange juice which is packed with vitamin C and this helps the uptake of the iron from the oats and cocoa.
Looks yummy, our daughter is fructose intolerant too, any switches for the honey and coconut?
Hi Gemma, You could swap the honey for maple syrup or rice syrup and the coconut oil for light olive oil or cold-pressed rape. Hope she enjoys it!