This wonderful chicken and mushroom risotto makes a delicious and comforting family meal. It’s a great all-in-one recipe to cook up when you feel run down or are seeking out comfort food.
The nourishing fresh chicken stock, which is absorbed by the rice, is a traditional cold and flu remedy. Shitake mushrooms contain beta glucans which help to support overall immunity.
The wild rice is more nutritious than white rice and contains minerals including manganese, phosphorus, magnesium and zinc.
- 50 g Butter
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 1 Courgette (grated)
- 300 g Basmati & Wild Rice Mix (rinsed)
- 1.5 litres Chicken Stock
- 150 g Shitake Mushrooms (cleaned)
- 200 g Chicken (cooked)
- 200 g Peas (frozen)
- 1 tbsp Cream
- 75 g Parmesan (shavings)
- Heat 25g of the butter and all of the olive oil in a large, deep pan over a medium heat. Add the chopped onion and fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the grated courgette.
- Add the rinsed rice to the pan and stir for 30 seconds. Pour in 250ml of chicken stock, and allow to absorb, stirring occasionally. After 10 minutes, add another 250ml of stock. Continue adding stock and occasionally stirring for a further 35 minutes, until all the stock is in the pan.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, in a separate frying pan, fry up the mushrooms in the remaining 25g butter until soft.
- Add the cooked chicken and frozen peas to the risotto to thoroughly heat through.
- Finally, add the cream to the risotto. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Serve scattered with the mushrooms and shavings of parmesan.
- If shitake mushrooms aren’t available or too expensive, you can switch to your favourite variety. For little ones who aren’t that keen on the texture of mushrooms, try dicing them very finely and stirring them through the risotto (or serve without).
- For a dairy-free risotto, replace the butter with olive oil, replace the cream and parmesan with dairy-free alternatives.
- To make a vegetarian version, switch to vegetable stock; and switch the chicken to jackfruit.
Just made this tonight and it went down a treat with our toddler! V tasty
That’s wonderful to hear