These mini blinis are easy to make and can be used day to day as savoury pancakes or make them extra special for important occasions with smoked salmon and prawns to turn them into gorgeous canapes. Top with smoked salmon, prawns, dill and crème fraîche or try popping hummus, fish pate or liver pate on instead.
Naturally gluten-free and high in protein, these are blinis that everyone in the family will love. Naturally rich in brain food phospholipids which are important building blocks for learning and memory. The smoked salmon and prawns are full of brainy omega 3 which is also important for good eyesight, and the dill is settling for sensitive tummies. The buckwheat contains lots of magnesium which is important for keeping us relaxed and chilled.
- 120 g Cream Cheese
- 60 g Buckwheat Flour
- 2 Eggs (at least free range)
- 0.75 tsp Baking Powder
- Black Pepper (a few grinds for older kids and adults)
- Sea Salt (just a pinch for older kids and adults)
- 1 large sprig Dill (chopped: fresh is best, but dried dill is OK)
- Smoked Salmon (or flaked poached salmon for under 12 months)
- Cooked Prawns
- Crème Fraiche (or cream cheese or cashew yoghurt)
- 18 little sprigs Dill (fresh is best, but a sprinkle of dried dill is OK)
- Pepper (just a grind)
- 1 Lemon (just the juice)
- Whizz all the blini ingredients except the chopped dill up in a blender for 30 seconds until combined. Stir in the dill and leave for a few minutes to rest.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan to a medium heat.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop to transfer the batter to the frying pan – aim for three mini blinis in one frying pan.
- Flip once each blini starts bubbling and looking as if they will hold together, and then remove from the frying pan when golden on each side.
- Pop 1 tsp crème fraîche on each blini with a little piece of salmon or a couple of prawns and a topping of dill. Grind over a little black pepper and a little squeeze of lemon juice.
- Suitable for babies from 6 months if you use flaked steamed salmon or prawns instead of smoked salmon.
- Naturally gluten-free.
- Dairy-free: swap the cream cheese for silken tofu or cashew butter.
- Egg-free: swap 2 eggs for 2 tbsps ground flax seeds and 6 tbsp water.
- Can be kept in the fridge for two days or stored in the freezer in a small bag for up to 3 months.